My Top 10 Emerging Influential Blogs for 2012
This blog used to be called The Motivated Bride. It was 5 months into getting engaged when I suddenly panicked. I will be fitted for a gown soon and I want to look good in it!
Looking back at how I started seems all too superficial. But most bride to be, including those that are far fitter than I am worry about these things. So I set out writing about the wedding planning and most of the activities I did to lose weight including shopping for the right food, going to the gym, being hooked to Zumba, playing Xbox Kinect games for weightloss and breaking my bad sleeping habit.
After getting married (and failing to reach my goal weight for the big day!), I found out that aside from my previous condition (PCOS), I also have a common hormonal imbalance issue caused by my thyroid which is called hypothyroidism. This knowledge shifted my goal to just losing weight for aesthetic purposes into really getting fitter, leaner and having more endurance and strength. This turned me into an aspiring (wanna be!) runner and pining to be an overall healthy person.
Why does it matter to tell you this boring tale before introducing my top 5 emerging influential blogs for 2012? Because like me whose advocacy turned out to be women’s fitness (naks!), these bloggers found their passion and their purpose for writing.
1. Life After Breakfast – I remember being in awe upon stumbling into Alessa’s blog the first time. I’ve always have a soft spot for artistic people and she definitely is an artistic person and a very talented one! I love the downloadable she generously share with her readers.
2. Rappler.com – I’ll admit I never liked reading news online. I find the leading networks website flooded with information I don’t want to read. The other local news websites didn’t do enough to pique my interest for current events. I have been fond of current events recently, thanks in part to the brilliant style of presenting the news on Rappler.com which is in blog format. I also love how active they are on Twitter and the copy they use because it’s easily understandable and the titles they use are interesting. Definitely one of the most successful websites today, all thanks to Maria Ressa and her team at Rappler.
3. Between Coordinates – I really love how well-designed this blog is. I have always been fond of travel blogs because I love travelling myself. Her travel stories are funny and personal and just makes me want to grab my backpack and go where she’s been! I’m also very fond of solo female travelers!
4. So What’s News – First off, people should know that this website is satirical and fictional. I often see people linking to this site fuming in anger or laughing their asses off thinking it was real. Satirical websites are not normal in the Philippines as it is in the US or UK, so this is sort of like a new thing. It takes a different kind of humor to be able to appreciate this kind of website.
5. The Urban Walker – I have always been fascinated with urban planning. I had a stage wherein I’d watch YouTube videos of game-changers in other countries when it comes to urban transportation and planning. I’m also an avid visitor of Skyscrapercity. This is why I like The Urban Walker a lot. I think topics like these should be read by a big audience so we can get people interested into changing urban life as we know it.
6. From a Traveller’s Desk – As I said, I am a big fan of travel websites. Travel posts just exhilarates me and kept me want to travel myself. This website is full of those stories that makes you want to just pack up your things and go. I love the varied posts from different people with different backgrounds and I wish to be included as a contributor to this site one of these days.
7. Pinas Thrillseeker – I’ve always considered myself as a thrillseeker myself when it comes to travelling. But her extreme activities and mountain hikes is something I still strive to achieve. I love the portion in her blog with the itineraries and expenses.
8. The Talking Senses – I adore the randomness of this blog. The writing is just exquisite.
9. The Purple Doll – Aside from travel blogs, I find that I tend to navigate towards food blogs. Purple Doll is one of our go -to blog for food reviews. Her varied food posts and photos are enticing and makes me want to go to that restaurant right away!
10. Pinoy Pop Culture – I’m one of those people who are sentimental about their roots. I love being a Filipino and being able to read positive articles on being a Filipino makes me so proud. I’m glad for blogs like this because it reminds me that even though sometimes it’s hard to embrace love for the Philippine sbecause of what’s happening in the country, there is always something to be happy about.
About JennI'm Jenn, a 28-year old web developer/newlywed living in Taguig City, Philippines. At the start of 2009, I weighed in at 187lbs. In May 2011, my boyfriend of almost 9 years proposed to me and we walked down the aisle in January of this year. With all the recent changes in my life, I would like to document my journey to become my fittest and healthiest self by the time I am 30.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.